Tuesday, June 23, 2009

From Disney to Diplomacy!



Mary Clements
75 Pearl Street
Hyannis, MA 02601

May 14, 2007

Miss Lauren Griffin
504B 3rd Street, SE
Washington, DC. 20003

Dear Cousin Lauren,

How are things going for you? I understand your grandfather left the Senate after a long tenure as Senate Majority Leader. I remember when he wrote your recommendation for law school at University of Maine at Orono. You had just graduated from Holy Cross and what a great connection it must have been to have been related to such an influential figure. You must have had an incredible time working in D.C. for him. I understand he is now the CEO of Disney.

Things have not been going particularly well for me since your family sued my mother for the estate in Berkeley, Massachusetts. My psychiatrist refuses to believe that a lawyer of your stature exhumed my Uncle James relocated him to your gravesite. My poor mom, she had to wait until everyone from that bloodline died to move him back. I felt pretty bad, especially when my mother was being sued by her own mother. Then again, money is money and you have to do what you have to do. I understand that you are the executrix on my grandmother’s will and that she left everything to you and your family.

Some people find it hard to believe that my own grandmother deserted my mother in her infancy and returned to the family only to sue her for the estate of her only brother. I had to retrieve the civil suit you brought, the death certificates and exhumation records to show my psychiatrist. I lived in a crack house here in Hyannis and most of the trauma I went through was also not believed by clinicians and physicians treating me. I guess most psychiatrists are not used to the dirty bullshit associated with lawyers and politicians. My attending psychiatrist forced injected me with sedative medication when I explained to him what had happened in our family. He absolutely thought I was delusional when I explained that your side of the family was conceived years ago in the town brothel. As far as I’m concerned, I have no trouble believing it!

I am researching records on our interesting family tree. Because I documented some unbelievable stuff here in Hyannis in regard to rapists and murderers of which I made acquaintance, several journalists are interested in speaking with me. Not only am I excited to tell my story, I am using the fact that I am related to you as a reference. Only a real fiction novelist will believe my accounts of what really happened. I am forwarding you a number of materials that I have collected here in Barnstable. Sorry to hear about your parents divorce!